Monday, May 2, 2011

Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month


 ****************************************************************



May is Cystic Fibrosis Awareness month! Some of the CF bloggers that I follow are sharing their diagnosis stories, so I thought I would do the same. I was born November 16, 1987. From the very beginning, I had a lot of digestion problems. I ate and ate and ate, and it just went straight through me every time. My lungs were healthy, because I would not sit still for longer than a minute or two. I had one of those bouncy swings, and Mom tells me all the time that I would constantly sit in there and bounce. She says that I would stay in there for hours at a time.

Because of the healthy lungs, when my parents shared their concerns with my doctor, Cystic Fibrosis was never even mentioned. We went through three pediatricians before Mom found one who listened to her. The others told her she was an overprotective mother who was making a big deal out of nothing. The doctor we stuck with decided to do a sweat test, and sure enough, I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis.

I believe that my parents did a fantastic job transitioning me into this new lifestyle. They never even considered taking me out of school to protect me from germs. They learned right along with me how to do my treatments and how I would have to go about getting my digestive enzymes at school. (I had to go to the office everyday to get them, because students were not allowed to carry medicine. No exceptions.) I cannot express how thankful I am that my parents continued to treat me like a normal child! I think I would have gone crazy if they had tried to put me in a bubble and protect me from every little germ that might be lurking around the corner. My parents allowed me to live my life the way I wanted to, and for that, I will be forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment