Sunday, March 17, 2019

Five Feet Apart Reflections


I went to see Five Feet Apart Friday night. I have never been so nervous and excited to see a movie at the same time. I put a lot of pressure on the movie, because having light shed on cystic fibrosis is something that I have been wanting for a long time. Sadly, most of the time when it is mentioned in a TV show, it leaves me feeling disappointed. So the fact that a big Hollywood movie is focused solely on the disease is huge!

So is the movie accurate? Does it really do justice to cystic fibrosis and what it is like living with it? Should people go see it? Will it raise awareness? Yes, yes, yes, and yes!

You could tell how much time and effort they put into researching cystic fibrosis and what life with the disease is like. They showed so many details from the G-tubes, ports, and oxygen all the way to the main character, Stella, coughing up mucus. They showed all the medications and treatments and even went into showing how complications can throw off all the plans for treatment. Even though I am not in the hospital very often, and I don’t have a port or a G-tube, I saw myself in the characters. I especially connected to some of the things they said about living with a disease that is slowly killing you. There is a moment when Will talks about how we are essentially drowning… I so feel that! My biggest fear is drowning or suffocating, and I know it’s because of CF. Poe also talked about how hard it is to be in a relationship because of not wanting to put all of this on another person… the bills, stress, and everything else.

There were also little things that I’m not sure the typical movie goer would pick up on. For instance, when Poe calls Stella sister, I imagined it being spelled cyster, because that is a term that many in the CF community call females with cystic fibrosis. Then there are the interactions with the parents because people don’t really understand what parents of kids with terminal illnesses go through. I don’t know how my parents do what they do for me. They are so strong and have always been my advocates in everything I do.

For those people who did not think the movie would bring awareness, you could not be more wrong. It was very informative. It went into a lot of details without talking over people’s heads. I went with a person who didn’t know a lot about CF, and the movie led to some great questions and conversations. Also, before the movie, people were just staring at me and giving me weird looks because of my mask. After the movie, I was still getting looks, but then they would smile. It was like they had a new understanding of why I was wearing the mask.

There were a ton of teenage girls in the theater when we went, but my hope is that more adults will take the time to see the movie. I know it’s a teenage romance, but the cystic fibrosis part of the movie is so much more important than that.

So please, please, please go see this movie! Take your friends and family with you! I will be seeing it again in the theater for sure.

6 comments:

  1. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck.
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (info@drituaherbalcenter.com)(drituaherbalcenter@gmai.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like (1) CANCER,(2) DIABETES,(3) HIV&AIDS,(4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,(5) CANCER,(6) IMPOTENCE,(7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY(8) DIARRHEA(9) ASTHMA(10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL(11)COLD SOREHERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello friends,I am ALISHA ROSS, This is my testimony on how my ex lover come back to me..i want to say a very big thanks and appreciation to ZUMA ZUK solution home for bringing back my lover who left me for almost 2 year,i feel like my life is completely over, so one day as i was searching on the internet for recommend spell caster who will help me to bring my lover back, Finally i met a writing how so many testimony talking about how ZUMA ZUK help to restore relationship back,so i decided to give it a try so i contacted the spell caster called ZUMA ZUK and explain my problems to him,and he cast spell love spell luckily within 24 hours my lover really called me and started apologizing for all he had caused me.and be begging me to accept him back and will are living together and happily married, I am the happiest woman on earth today because ZUMA ZUK has done a wonderful deeds in my life and i will continue to share this testimony, i pray God almighty give you the strength and wisdom to help more people having similar problem like mine, contact him. Email spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com Call or Whats App +15068001647

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day to all am  From USA..Texas am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua herbal center the powerful herbal doctor that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Pancreatic Cancer,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. ,I contacted him based on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you.     drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  web and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank you Dr Itua herbal center for your kind help in my life. His Mobile number Whatsapp.+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living with herpes virus was the worst situation I've ever been in due to work and tending to my family needs but finally tested negative after using the herbal medicine I ordered from him. His Email drodiagbesolutionhome@gmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Herbal medicine is the best ����Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (21) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promised him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, stomach ulcer,Endometriosis, cancer, yeast infection, fibromyalgia,Gonorrhea, Chronic pain, LUPUS low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian cysts Arthritis, pile, Crowns and all other type of diseases, breast cancer, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you..Dr Omo. Please help me share and save others God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete