Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 7- School with Cystic Fibrosis

Many parents who have children with Cystic Fibrosis consider keeping their child out of school to lessen the risk of germs being picked up. I totally understand this mindset, but I am so grateful that my parents did not even consider pulling me out of school when I was diagnosed. I loved school! I had friends, I was an honor student, and I just enjoyed being out of the house. The worst part about school for me was the fact that everyday before lunch, I had to go get my digestive enzymes from the office. It wasn't a huge deal, but when I reached high school, it made it difficult to find a seat with my friends. Of course, it didn't help that our school was over crowded and offered very little seating. I stayed active throughout school because of the activities that I participated in. I cheered in middle and high school, and because of that, I also took tumbling lessons. Tumbling is an incredible airway clearance exercise! After high school, I went on to a large university with about 23,000 students. I did well, and graduated last May with a degree in elementary education. My goal is to be in a school for a long time! ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment