Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day and Day 8


Happy Mother's Day! In honor of this special day, I thought I would say a little something about my amazing mom. My mom is one of the strongest people I know. She has taken everything that God has dealt her with an amazingly positive attitude. I was always sick as a child before I was diagnosed with CF, and my sister has a major heart condition that forced her to have open heart surgery when she was 3 years old. Given our health issues, Mom has always been there taking us to doctor's appointments and asking questions that no one else would think to ask! :) She is an amazing woman, and I couldn't have chosen a better mom! Love you, Mom!

Well, day 8 is all about non compliance, and as I have mentioned before, I have a lot of that in my past. I was great with doing treatments and taking my medicines until I reached college. During college, I found a new freedom that I hadn't had before. I wanted to do things like go out with my friends and stay up late. Treatments just got in the way, so I pretty much stopped doing them all together. As a result, my lung function took a pretty big hit. Then, in August, my doctor told me I was in need of a lung transplant. Needless to say, I started doing my treatments, and my lung function went back up. I still struggle with making myself do what I need to from time to time, but it is much easier to remind myself why I need to keep fighting. I speak from experience when I say that it is incredibly difficult for people with Cystic Fibrosis to stay compliant all the time with all of the treatments. The important thing is that if you do fall of the wagon, you have to find a way back on. Without the treatments, we cannot live a full life. I am compliant now because I know the risks, and I have so many people to stick around for.


On another note, the Great Strides Walk in Knoxville is this coming Saturday. My goal is $1000, and I only have $70 more to go. If you would like to make a contribution, just click on the picture above, and it will take you to my donation page! Every little bit helps! Thank you so much in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment