Sunday, July 14, 2013

Change

Today, as I sat and enjoyed the beach, I realized how much things have changed for me lately. I have been 100% compliant with my treatments for 49 days now! I missed one yesterday due to the long drive down here, but I made it up with an extra treatment today. There was a time not that long ago that I thought it was okay to just take the week off. If I was going to be on vacation, I was going to fully enjoy it. I wouldn't even bring the things needed for my treatments.... My, how times have changed.

The biggest change that I have noticed now that I am being compliant with treatments is how missing one or not being able to do my morning treatment right away affects me. Yesterday, as we were driving to the beach, I noticed that I was coughing more, and it was a wetter, more congested cough than usual. As soon as I did my evening treatment, I felt much better. I can't decide if this is a good thing or bad thing. In one respect, it motivates me to stay compliant with treatments since it makes me feel better. On the other hand, I used to go a week without doing treatments, and I wouldn't feel the consequences of it. It's no secret that my lung function is much lower now than what it used to be, but I'm still determined to keep it as high as I can.

It can sometimes be frustrating to have to prolong going out to the beach to do a breathing treatment, but it's worth it if I can feel as good as possible while enjoying the sun and ocean. :) I think back to college when I basically stopped taking care of the CF part of myself, and I want to kick that version of me. It was so silly, but I'm thankful I came to my senses when I did because I still have a lot of great things happening in my life! I can't erase my past mistakes, but I certainly can learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment