Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Game Plan

After two weeks of having IV antibiotics, I went to have my follow-up PFT on January 2nd. My FEV1 showed almost no improvement at all. It went from 40% to 41%. I also lost some more weight. I was extremely frustrated, and my cystic fibrosis nurse was very concerned. After talking with one of my doctors, they came up with a new game plan. I'm now on the oral version of vancomycin which is called zyvox. I will be taking this antibiotic for two weeks along with prednisone. I'm very hopeful that this plan will be more effective for me. I know many people who get amazing results from IV antibiotics, but of the three times I have used them, I really haven't seen much improvement.

I have been feeling terrible for over a month now, and I'm praying that this works for me. I'm so ready to be back to my old self. Without the limitations of having a picc line in my arm, I will be more able to get back into a work out routine. I have another follow-up PFT in two more weeks. The prednisone should help with my appetite as well, so I'm hoping to put some of my weight back on soon. I have lost a total of 14 pounds. I haven't weighed this little since my old doctor told me I needed a lung transplant.

After just two days on this new regimen, I already have more energy, so I have high hopes! I start work on Monday, so I just need to get back to feeling better soon.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you already have more energy! Sucks that you had to go through IVs without them even working, I'm sorry you had to do that - especially over your break! I hope you gain more energy each day and that you have a great transition back to work Monday. Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it will be good to be back at work. I feel like all I have been doing is sitting around and thinking about how horrible I've been feeling. Hopefully, work will give me something else to do. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I have been there before, all the work of IVs and no payoff. I hope the orals work and you are back to your old self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so frustrating because the IVs are such a big commitment. I have a really good feeling about this new plan. We'll see though.

      Delete