Monday, January 24, 2011

A Little Bit About Cystic Fibrosis

I'd like to start off by explaining what Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is. CF is an inherited, life-threatening disease. Inherited means that it is passed down through genes. The defective gene is recessive which means that both parents have to have carry the gene in order for the child to actually have Cystic Fibrosis. That means that my mom and my dad are carriers for the disease even though neither of them actually have it. The defective gene causes mucus that is thin and slick in a normal person's body to be thick and sticky in a CF patient's body. The mucus clogs up the lungs increasing the risk for lung infections. It also blocks the pancreas which prevents the proper digestion of food. There is not a true life expectancy for this disease because there are so many varying factors that contribute, but on average, people with CF are living into their 30's and 40's. That being said, there are those who live much longer than that... my goal is to be one of those.

There are many fundraisers that take place throughout the country to help raise money to find new treatments and one day, maybe even a cure. I will be walking in the Great Strides Walk for Cystic Fibrosis on May 14th this year in Knoxville, Tennessee at Victor Ashe Park. I have set a goal for myself to raise $1000. If you would like to donate anything to my cause, I would greatly appreciate it! There is no amount that is too small! Every little bit helps, and it all adds up! All you have to do is click here, and it will take you to my donation page. Thank you so much for your help!

2 comments:

  1. Kayla. You are amazing. It takes courage to discuss this so openly and I look forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla. I am a friend of Marla's. I also look forward to reading your story.

    ReplyDelete